Friday, March 1, 2013

Feel Like Making Cookies?

Sometimes you just need cookies. Cookies are powerful - they have the ability to charm people, make you friends, offer you comfort. Rarely do I see such glee on my kid's messy face as when he's chomping into a warm, chewy cookie. Lucky for him, our local grocery's bakery offers free, fresh-baked cookies to all kids under twelve every day. He's got it so good, and he doesn't even realize it.



When I first realized I had gluten sensitivity, I was unbelievably bummed. Not only would I have to do without bread, which was bad enough, but I'd have to give up cookies? I didn't know how I'd ever cope. After all, my favorite dessert of all time is the simple-but-perfect Toll House version of the chocolate chip cookie. For the longest time I just went without cookies, and I was very sad indeed. During this time of year it is especially hard because Girl Scout Cookies are EVERYWHERE. Doing without Samoas is a total bummer. They are the perfect fudgy combination of coconut and caramel and I looooooove them. Sadly, neither my wallet or my stomach feels the same way.

As I began to modify my diet and learn new methods of gluten free baking and cooking, I became more comfortable with playing around in the kitchen and trying out combinations to find things that would work for me. I knew I wanted to tackle chocolate chip cookies immediately, and I knew I wanted to use almond meal, because almond + chocolate is a match made in heaven. I'd also begun a recent obsession with coconut oil, which is good for you on so many levels (not to mention tasty), so I incorporated that in, too.

These cookies are so unique and so good that I would make them all the time even if I didn't have a gluten sensitivity. They are incredibly simple and take just minutes to make. You can omit the honey and substitute agave nectar, as well as using an egg substitute, if you would like to make them vegan.

No lie, they taste just like an almond joy candy bar in cookie form. Fudgy, coconut-y, with a hint of almond and vanilla. I have to sit on my hands to keep from eating the entire batch when I make them.

These cookies are undoubtedly delicious, but the best thing about them is that they are reasonably healthy. They contain a lot less sugar than most cookie recipes, and don't have all the refined flour and butter, either. Both coconut oil and almond meal contain many health benefits, so you can feel good about demolishing them.

Seriously, try them. Your mouth will thank you.


Double Chocolate Almond Cookies

1 ½ cups almond meal
¼ cup raw sugar
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup honey
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla nut extract
splash of leftover brewed coffee
¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate chips

Sift together dry ingredients and form a well in the center. Add wet ingredients one at a time and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash more coffee. Add chocolate chips, mix well.

Spoon dough onto well greased cookie sheet, and bake at 325 for about ten to twelve minutes.  

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment