Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Herro There!


Welcome, Readers!

After much careful consideration, navel-gazing, and frequent moments of self doubt, I've decided to start a blog. I'm thrilled to have you join me!



A very little about me:

I'm in my early 30's, am Mother to a hilarious, silly little boy, and live in the South. I wear many hats, but most importantly, I'm a Feminist, a vegetarian, an athlete, a wife, a mother, an artist, a foodie, a writer, and a friend. I toe the line between being a scientifically minded, sardonic, cynical young woman, and being a crunchy-granola, corduroy pants wearing, peace-loving hippie and naturalist. Usually I manage quite well at reconciling these two drastically different sides of my personality, but sometimes they clash, often with hilarious results. My favorite teacher in High School once told me that I was a paradox of epic proportions, and though that was almost 13 years ago, I don't think I've really changed much, at least not in that regard.

As a freelance writer with a frequent online presence, I've had the privilege of working for a number of women-centric blogs, magazines and websites, many with a focus on feminism, motherhood, health and nutrition, politics, fashion, and pop culture. I've leant my voice to a great many different sites and other magazines and publications, and have been lucky enough to participate in some great discussions about a wide variety of topics. I've learned a lot through my experience as a writer, editor, and administrator.

Too often, though, I've found myself scouring the web for websites, blogs and other media that fulfill my interests, of which are quite varied and well, all over the place. A forum where I can find things that appeal to my wide variety of interests, my lifestyle and my passions. There are countless websites for feminists on the internet, just as there are countless websites devoted to cooking, or art, or being a Mom. What I wanted was a “one stop shop”, where I could go to read hilarious stories from my peers about their goofy kids, or thought provoking pieces from fellow feminists on important issues, and then perhaps click over to find a great recipe. My blog is meant to be just that. It's a little bit of everything. Here, I will talk about Motherhood, writing and art, health and exercise, nutrition and food, current events (and yes, a little politics, though I'll spare you sermons when I can), books and media, fashion, and everything else you can think of - all mixed in with a heaping dose of good old-fashioned feminism (expect a post very soon about what feminism actually is, as opposed to the vile stereotypes that we're still fighting against. It never ceases to amaze me that we've made it to the year 2013, and many of our fellow successful, evolved, intelligent women still think feminism is a dirty word. But that's another rant for another time).

This blog is for me, to get out those things that bother me, that upset me, that make bowl me over with joy. The things I find funny, inspiring, and the things that move me. But this blog is also for you. Once we've gotten off the ground, I plan to open this blog up and showcase the opinions, ideas, art, and work of other like-minded individuals who would like to share their unique voice. I welcome submissions of photographs, art, poetry, essays, recipes and anything else you may care to share with us. My only requirement is that you be an open minded individual who cares about our environment, the equal rights of others, and basically, so long as you're not a total asshole, I'm happy to let you be heard. More information on the kind of submissions I'm looking for will be offered up later, so keep an eye out. Seriously, I want to hear from you!

This blog will often be funny, at times sad, and always thought provoking. I hope you'll stay along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment